Gifted and Talented Education
We are committed to providing equitable outcomes for all learners.
At Riwaka School, we provide and facilitate a range of opportunities for learners to develop their strengths as learners, team members, leaders and community members.
As students move through the school, a range of leadership opportunities are offered which students apply for.
Information on opportunities is provided via email or newsletter with contact details of staff member in charge of activity, any relevant costs and details of event or activity.
Some of the opportunities available are:
- Y5/6 Literacy Quiz
- STEAMs for Y7/8
- Technology Challenge Y7/8
- Otago Problem Solving Y7/8
- Nelsomathix Y7/8
- Kiwi Competition Exams Y5-8
- Education Outside the Classroom (all ages)
- After school sports
- Te Awhina marae- opportunities for extension in te reo māori and tikanga
- Police Challenge for Y7/8
- Whenua Iti Leadership Programme Y8
- Itinerant music programme
- School bands
- MASSIVE (Y7/8 dance production)
- Jump Jam
- Jump Jam leaders
- Leadership opportunities for seniors
- Media Mob Y7/8
- Student Council Y7/8
- PALs/ House Leaders Y7/8
- Big Buddy system (all ages)
- Interschool opportunities- sports tournaments
- Speech competitions Y7/8
- Opportunities to submit to local newspaper and other publications
- Experiencing Marine Reserves (EMR) Y7/8
- Whitebait Connection (WBC) Y7/8
In some cases where a student is working more than two years beyond their chronological age in a specific subject area, the school is able to support a dual enrolment with Te Kura (the Correspondence School). This also require a high level of self-management from the student and is more suited to students in the senior end of the school who are ready for secondary school levels of work.